We have an unwritten rule that one should never review history on these posts, but I really feel compelled to further discuss our stay at Baytowne Marina…. particularly the weather. Everyone knows it rains a lot in Seattle, but what you may not know is it rains more inches per year in many towns in the south east; it just comes across fewer days. Take Baytowne for example. You cannot believe how much it can freaking rain!
As described, our boat was leaking from every orifice! Imagine someone constantly dumping a 5-gallon bucket of water on your head. That’s what it was like.
Full props to B for insisting we make room for the hillbilly tarp when we packed the boat in September. That tarp was the only thing standing between us and a night on a soggy mattress and wet blankets! As it was N had to make multiple trips into the night in his swimsuit (no point wearing anything else…see water bucket comment above) to ensure the tarp didn’t blow off or the boat didn’t get slammed into the pier. I have no idea who invented “fixed docks”, but what a hassle versus the floating variety.
To top it off we had tornado warnings and high winds. N stayed up watching the weather on his weather app (pretty accurate) and bracing for the next “red spot” to pass over our location. Brutal.
OK, enough of that. We survived the night with a renewed respect for the power of nature (particularly when you’re on a 28’ boat!) and appreciating again the good weather we’ve had and the many more good weather days we hope to enjoy on this trip!
We are waiting for a weather window to cross the gulf. For the record, there was a 110’ boat at the same marina waiting for weather so we’re not the only ones! In a perfect world, the wind will be less than 10 mph and seas under 3’ as we have something like 170 miles of open water to cross. You might wonder why we can’t hug the coast, but doing so would add a lot of distance, it’s shallow up to 10 miles out and there are no services along that stretch of shore. We just don’t have the range. The passage is probably the biggest nautical challenge of the trip given our boat size and range. It appears we’ll have a good weather window next Monday so we’ll be piddling along the panhandle until we reach our jump off point of Apalachicola / Carrabelle which is about 80 miles away. To that end we left Baytowne this AM and cruised the ICW to St Andrews Marina just outside Panama City.